When To See A Podiatrist For Ankle Pain

When To See A Podiatrist For Ankle Pain

When To See A Podiatrist For Ankle Pain

After a fall, a blow to your ankle joint, or a sudden twist, an ankle sprain is a common injury. Many of the people who have ankle pain will have been through an ankle sprain and still have discomfort after their initial treatments.

Once a patient injures their ankle, it may not seem to be that serious in the beginning. However, if you fail to seek medical attention and treatment, you could end up with underlying issues that lead to chronic pain and discomfort. Having such chronic pain in your ankle could mean that you have injuries to your peroneal tendons. These are tendons located along the fibula at the outer portion of your ankle bone.

Tendon Injuries

Injuries to the tendons may include swelling around the tendons or tendonitis. In some cases that are higher severity, peroneal tendons might tear, or there could be swelling located behind the fibula bone. When this happens, the ligaments holding the tendons in place could over-stretch, tear, or rupture.

Some of the symptoms that can come with injuries to the peroneal tendon include:

  • Pain located behind the ankle bone
  • Pain that is not responding with treatment
  • Tenderness and swelling along the outside of the ankle
  • Pain that radiates from the ankle into the foot


It is often helpful to have an ultrasound or MRI to help identify and diagnose issues with the peroneal tendon. If the condition is caught in time, some of the non-invasive therapies may include:

  • Physical therapy
  • Icing, rest, and elevation
  • Using a cast or brace for immobilization
  • Anti-inflammatories

If you have a more serious injury like a rupture of your peroneal tendons, then the chances are good you will have to have surgical intervention.


For many people, injury to the peroneal tendon can happen quickly, or they may be developing over a long time. This is a type of damage that is prevalent in athletes that take part in sports that involve ankle motions that are repetitive or with people who have feet with high arches.

To get the treatment that you need, it is best that you visit a professional like a podiatrist for an examination and reliable diagnosis. If you seem to have ankle pain that is not getting better, this is never something that you should ignore. Having a podiatrist take a look will give you insight from a trained professional with experience in the treatment of ankle and foot injuries.

Mill Creek Foot & Ankle Clinic can help with ankle pain. Call Dr. Hall at (425) 482-6663 today for an appointment.