We all know that warmer weather brings on a wealth of wonderful summertime adventures, each of which calls for comfortable clothing, including summer footwear. However, when summer months are here, you may want to think twice about slipping on your favorite pair of flip flops if you want to avoid ankle problems and treatment in Everett.
From the point of view of a podiatrist, all patients should understand that the design of a flip flop might not always be the absolute best choice for not only your feet, but also your ankles and the rest of your body as a whole. Many of the designs that are available today are not going to give you all of the support needed for your feet, ankles, and frame as you are active this summer.
If you are like most people, when the temperatures start to rise, the idea of wearing athletic shoes and socks will not be anywhere near as appealing as it is to think about the open, free feeling that a pair of flip flops will give you. At the same time, keeping up with proper foot care and avoiding pain in your heel and ankles should also be taken into consideration, especially if you are a patient that has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis or another foot or ankle condition.
Even knowing that the flip flop is not an ideal choice, it can be difficult to fight the urge. In this case, if you end up indulging and reaching for a pair of flip flops to free your feet this summer, Mill Creek Foot & Ankle Clinic would like to offer you some solid advice on how you can stay comfy and cool while wearing a pair of quality flip flops. Think arch support!
What To Look For In Flip Flops
- It is best to shop around for a quality flip flop that is crafted with soft leather – not a plastic or rubber material. The leather is a great choice for helping to minimize the chance of blisters or other kinds of irritation from developing.
- Make sure that you select a flip flop that bends right at the ball of your foot. No shoe should ever fold in half.
- Get the proper fit. Check to see when trying on the flip flops that your foot is not hanging off of the edge on any side.
- Always find a sturdy pair that you can wear as you are walking around the beach, pool, hotel, locker rooms and more during summertime fun. When you walk barefoot, you are opening yourself up to exposure that can lead to athlete’s foot and plantar warts.
- If any pair of flip flops caused blistering or irritation between your toes, you need to stop wearing them immediately, as this can lead to infection.
- Try not to wear your flip flops year after year without paying attention to wear and tear. Even if you have a quality pair, you need to inspect them before every summer to make sure that there are no signs of wear. If there are, discard them.
- It is always worth the investment to purchase a pair of orthotic flip flops or sandals. Not sure where to find a pair to purchase? We carry common sizes of men and women’s Vionic brand sandals in our office! You don’t need an appointment to come shop for sandals.
You don’t have to sacrifice your comfort, style, or longterm health. Call us today at Mill Creek Foot & Ankle Clinic to learn all about your best options in summertime footwear and proper foot and ankle care and to avoid ankle problems and treatment in Everett. You can reach us at (425)482-6663 to set up a time for a consultation. Not only will we be able to guide you on a variety of stylish options in summer sandals that feel great and look good, but we have the expertise to outfit you with the right footwear for all seasons.